I agree that the tool requires some additional work.  It seems almost all
of the criticism has been directed at the hypothetical "community clicking
rampage" - where the query is stored on a wiki, and some user runs it
thoughtlessly. At the same time, several skilled users have expressed their
desire to use it for their own work.  Hence, as a good compromise between
the two, how about I disable the "embed edit".  If the query is executed
from a link, without the query editor mode, users can only view results.
But in the power mode, the users can still use the tool to write a query
they need, test and edit things as they need.   So its ok to use it as a
power editor (e.g. JOSM or Level0), but not as mass contribution.

In the mean time, I will add the "two person approval required", which
should alleviate expressed concern.  Should be ready fairly soon.