On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 6:13 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> I’m not sure if this is still valid, but a long time ago the measurements
> in Josm weren’t very accurate...

It uses the great circle distance[0], which is accurate to about 0.5%[1],
still over long distances that can add up.  I believe it would be more
accurate to project each segment of the way to a local coordinate system
and measure, and then sum the measures.

Mike

[0]
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/browser/josm/trunk/src/org/openstreetmap/josm/data/osm/Way.java
(search on getLength)
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great-circle_distance

especially for long distances, where the curvature of the earth leads to