Greetings!

I saw a nice argument somewhere about the lines for larger rivers that
might be applicable here:
Imagine if the water level dropped significantly - the areas would be off
(but should be kept at their normal level unless the change is likely to be
reasonably permanent) but the lines should stay reasonably accurate,
mapping the main channel where the water will keep flowing. Of course,
unless the water drops it might not be possible to find out where such a
channel is exactly, so the map usually contains our best guesses.

Happy mapping!