For me the fact that highway=bus_stop is only allowed on nodes is a plus,
not a minus.

The reason why I would like us all to use nodes for representing the stops
is that a route relation with  a single node for each stop and then a
continuous linked string of ways is conceptually about as simple as it can
get.

I would prefer no to use stop_area relations in the route relations as it
adds a layer of indirection, which I feel is unneeded.

Oddly I wouldn't mind that for the ways though. For those it would indeed
be beneficial to group them in sub route relations. We need support in
editors though. I created some tickets to improve JOSM in that direction
(show continuity line if first way in sub relation connects to last way in
route / same for last way/next way in route). That would have to be part of
another proposal though.

I'd like to simplify first and then propose these sub relations for the
ways. Drawing the continuity line is one thing, visualising the whole
itinerary is another that become harder to do.

Anyway, you are saying that you think it's alright to duplicate details
between stop_position node/platform node, platform way and stop_area
relation and that is exactly what I think is the main problem with the
current way of mapping. The details should go onto 1 single object that
represents the stop and that object should be the (only) one added to the
route relations. stop_area relations can be useful to show which objects
belong together, but only if there is one for each stop. If they just group
everything for several stops that are near to one another, they can just as
well be left out.

Polyglot