So if OSMand or some such could handle them in a search off line that would
be acceptable?  They are generated from long and lat after all.

My feeling is adding them to Nominatim is not a perfect solution as it
implies OpenStreetMap supports them rather than something else but from a
practical point of view it would solve a lot of problems.  Not least the
idea that tags get added to every building with some sort of address code.
How many different codes for buildings are we going to see?

Currently locally addr: has number, postcode and street name so its
difficult to logically say its one rule for one country and another for a
different one.

Cheerio John