On 12/12/18 2:16 AM, Ralph Aytoun wrote:

I am also concerned about the quality of the mapping that is tying up projects because it takes up so much validation time. [..]

This perception is (don't take it personally - I answer your message but I'm not singling you out) a symptom of a widespread problem: quality perceived as a separate activity, an extra cost tacked on the actual productive work.

Considering the quality assurance process as a distinct set of activities has the very unfortunate effect of creating an unnecessary conflict with production.

So:
- Start with a clearly defined objective quality goal, just adequate for the planned purpose of the data - Teach contributors that not meeting this goal is worse than doing nothing: negative value - Monitor contributions in real time, to catch deviations before they snowball... I love Bjoern's idea, though OSMCHA works for me
- Reiterate !

Quality is the essence of the whole activity, not a distinct step.

Yes, it spoils the fun for new contributors thrilled to start mapping away and see their gamified metrics take off spectacularly in a rain of digital achievement awards. But it also helps them make sense of what they are doing instead of launching them on an open ended trip with a hazy purpose - and what is better than to find meaning in a task ?

Normative leadership may feel incompatible with a flat collaborative forum such as Openstreetmap, but it makes sense within a directed project with a declared purpose, to which contributors voluntarily participate. If they trust the project leadership enough to join as contributors, they may expect the normative guidance and even be disappointed not to feel it from the leadership.