sent from a phone

> On 13. Dec 2018, at 11:40, Tomas Straupis <tomasstrau...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>  I was never for indiscriminate, automated imports without manual
> checks. Accepting documents as source does not necessary mean allowing
> such imports. When doing manual checks you can find (and we DO find)
> errors in official documents. Then OpenStreetMap gets correct data,
> not official version.
>
>  I'm also not saying to remove the ground truth rule as such. I'm
> only saying that the term "ground truth" in the context of
> non-physical objects must be clarified because currently it is being
> interpreted in a lot of different ways.

I would not exclude documents as source for mapping, e.g. you could copy
information from a company website, but I would value ground truth higher if
there are contradictions. You shouldn’t probably change some existing
information based solely on remote research. We even have established specific
tags for these, e.g. „official_name“ for a legal name vs. name for the most
suitable/common name.

Recently we have been discussing an import of housenumbers in Italy and some
people were advocating the removal of housenumbers that the city has suspended,
while I was advocating to do this only after a ground survey and having
confirmed that the sign has been physically removed (=almost never). Imagine
someone standing in front of a housenumber telling her position on the phone,
it doesn’t matter if the city thinks it is a valid address, it still serves its
purpose, and the person seeing the number will not be able to see whether that
number is „valid“ or not.

Cheers, Martin