If not copying, then what would you do with the information gleaned from GSV?
If you use it as a trigger for surveying ("I see on GSV that this street name
may be wrong in OSM so I need to go check and see for myself") I’d say that
would be okay, but other than that, I don’t really see what you could get out
of an exercise like that without violating Google’s TOS and/or tainting OSM
data with copyrighted sources.

Nicolas mentioned great ‘open’ alternatives, that is where we should be looking
for (and contributing to!) street level imagery.

Martijn