On 2019-04-12 09:52, Simon Poole wrote:
Am 12.04.2019 um 08:26 schrieb Maarten Deen:

Does the determination in java follow the same rules (or even the same
library) as file(1)? In its manpage it says
file tests each argument in an attempt to classify it. There are
three sets of tests, performed in this order: filesystem tests, magic
tests, and language tests. The first test that succeeds causes the
file type to be printed.

Is there any similarity in the first bytes of the zipped file?

This would be a valid question except: I hardwired the decompression
type to GZip yesterday in a test version of osmosis and still got the
error and as said a test program using the same methods decompresses the
file just fine.

That is interesting. I don't know how the unzipping is done in osmosis, but if it is still a java call (now hardwired to use gzip, I assume the executable, not a built in library), could it not be that java still tries to figure out what kind of file it is and fails because of that?

Regards,
Maarten