What you describe is a rather trivial case. I agree that using OSM
requires knowledge about all possible tagging methods.

But even when you store all phone numbers as contact:phone in the
database, all data consumers will still need to offer that data when
people ask for phone. Especially in the case where the mapper said
"store phone=..." in the database and later wants to retrieve it. The
mapper does not know that the system translated that into
"contact:phone".

Who will be in charge of deciding what gets transformed into another
tag? Is shop=estate_agent and office=estate_agent exactly the same, or
does that represent a real-world difference on how estate agents work
in the world?

Another example is url and contact:url, website, heritage:website. Are
they really the same, or do some people use them for different
purposes and perhaps multiple of them on 1 object.

And what about more complex similar mappings:

- a separate cycleway or cycleway=track on the main road
- a separate footway or sidewalk=...
- postal_code on address point or a postal code boundary
- address information on building or as separate node
- POI as separate node or on the building
- traffic signals tag on the junction or as separate nodes on the incoming ways.
- the whole discussion on landuse=forest,natural=wood,landcover=trees
which are the same for some but not for others.

Those cannot be easily converted from one format to another
I fear that data consumers will always have to cope with multiple
tagging methods.

I feel it is better to properly document those "synonyms" so data
consumers are aware of them and can deal with them as they like. If we
have a bunch of scripts to help them with this process, the better.
But the database should reflect what the mapper wrote, not some
modified version of it.

regards

m.