On 2020-02-06 21:10, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> The UK's Royal Collection [1 [1]] have placed online [2 [2]] George III's
> collection of military maps which, they say:
>
> comprises some 3,000 maps, views and prints
> ranging from the disposition of Charles V's armies
> at Vienna in 1532 to the Battle of Waterloo (1815).
>
> I'm sure these will be of interest to many OSM mappers.
>
> Remarkably, though, they are claiming copyright over these maps.

As I read it, they are claiming copyright in the images on the website,
which is probably fair enough. I cannot see where they claim copyright
in the maps themselves. But they do have ownership on their side; can
they be forced to make the original maps available for someone else to
photograph/scan?

Links:
------
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Collection