After the discussion, the status "import" should be limited to tags
that are clearly imported from external sources. Common examples are
external references, IDs, source tags, and specialized import-only
tags (e.g. "tiger:*"). Most of these don't have a wiki page.

I've added status=import and tagged a few keys which are documented:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Key_descriptions_with_status_%22import%22

Examples:

Key:gnis:feature_id
Key:import_uuid
Key:ref:bag
Key:ref:FR:MemorialGenWeb
Key:ref:ruian
Key:ref:sandre
Key:tiger
Tag:source:addr=GURS

All of these are clearly from imports only (e.g Key:tiger,
Key:import_uuid) or are only used as an external reference to another
database, and cannot be obtained by visiting the feature in person.

If I've made any mistakes, by including a ref:* which is actually used
on physical signs or obects, rather than only in another website or
database, please make corrections.

Also see update of https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Approval_status
with this value.

-- Joseph Eisenberg