Thank you for the update!

On 2020-04-14 07:09, Roland Olbricht wrote:
> I intend to bundle them with the necessary changes to use
> ways and relations directly as areas,
> but that is not implemented yet.

Although this sounds like a minor topic, it has quite some impact for a
number of users. Rather frequently, people are puzzled that they cannot
query for buildings without a housenumber node inside, or residential
areas without buildings, etc.

This is mainly due to a static set of rules on the Overpass server that
define, which objects qualify for area queries. You've probably seen
various Q&A site answers along the lines of: in theory it would work if
your object had a name=* tag, but as it doesn't have one, sadly, you're
out of luck.

By eliminating those static rules in the equation and directly using
(almost arbitrary) ways and relations, we expect that all those new use
cases can be covered out of the box.

A few examples as sneak preview:

- https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/SP9 - unnamed landuse=residential
ways/relations without buildings inside

- https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/FaQ - misuse of barrier=line on leisure=pitch

- https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Fbv - buildings without housenumber on way
and no respective nodes inside

(mandatory disclaimers: actual implementation and syntax *will* change,
data on the server may be outdated, server may be unavailable, prototype
only!)