Hi Jose

Maybe you should have a look at  https://github.com/komoot/photon which
is the go to ES based solution for OSM data (I'm not quite sure how you
missed it with the large amount of research you did, but anyway).

The other bit to understand is that the design goals of Nominatim, at
least historically, were not "return a result at all cost" but, "return
a result if the object is tagged correctly", which goes hand in hand
with the target audience and goals of the openstreetmap.org. In any case
the main reason we're not running photon on openstreetmap.org are mainly
operational, not technical (aka somebody needs to volunteer to a)
integrate it in to the web site, b) integrate it in to our chef
deployment, c) provide operational support).

Simon