In addition, there are several pieces that can be used as building blocks:

1. Federated / self hosted systems such email, newsgroups, RSS etc. Can be
used, perhaps using something similar to DHT that can be used to locate
images.
2. Bittorrent, webtorrent or a similar system can be used to spread data
around and serve the data
3. Interplanetary file system - p2p network for storing and sharing data

Best regards
Mishari