If the database was smaller and less infrastructure was reliant on it
working I would agree with you that philosophically open source software
makes a lot of sense.

However your argument is philosophical rather than logical.

Note I'm merely requesting that the idea be examined.  I am not saying I
know what is best and all the things that need to be considered.

Cheerio John