Looking at it from a TRA (Threat Risk Assessment) point of view OpenStreetMap is not totally dependent on one central database being up and working.

The primary database is fed by edits but if the database happens to get encrypted by Malware the backup and copies are still there.  The tiles on the tile server will still display, OSMAND will still work etc.

We strongly suspect that we are not running pure ISO standard SQL, which is fine but that does mean we need to take into account other linked databases so it would not just be the cost of the central database but many other servers and databases that would need to align and that is not trivial.  Some other users will have budgets and capacity to move others will not.  There is a lot of documentation tied back to the existing system which would need to be looked over.  Change management is not always simple.

For good database performance we need memory and lots of it so that rules out playing with SQL server express.

My concern that we weren't exactly mainstream with our database size has been reassured that there are other databases running on the same software that are larger.

Since we deal with a large number of new mappers who do odd things I get the impression that our procedures are robust and to be honest quite a lot of security is good procedures.

So thank you for your inputs, especially those who raised or addressed specific issues.

Cheerio John