> How/where was the notes addition proposed and implemented?

If I remember correctly, it was done as a "Google Summer of Code" project - effectively a sponsorship deal.  However, that project requires a clone of the OSM website, which is a much harder job than merely doing something with OSM data as it is updated.

>  I intended to write it myself it others find it useful.

Great!

> I would prefer that it is an official api so I don't have to cover the hosting costs.

Well if you start writing it locally and start initially with a small extract of OSM data your hosting costs will be zero.  Even if you absolutely need to go for a hosted server it needn't cost more than a Northern European cup of coffee a month to start with (see e.g. https://blog.jochentopf.com/2019-03-07-the-new-osmdata-service.html )

>  Is there anywhere to post an issue to implement this and later pull requests?

I'd suggest creating such a place in a shared code repository such as github (which is where lots of OSM-related stuff already is).  Don't worry that it isn't "official" - very little in OSM is.  If it becomes valuable it can easily be built on or incorporated into osm.org centrally later.

Best Regards,
Andy