It is the interesting idea to see where people tend to look at the map mostly and improve these parts as a priority. I think this relation could be also inverted.

I read recently an article "Wikipedia edits have massive impact on tourism, say economists" [1]. This article reports that it was proven by the researchers at the Collegio Carlo Alberto in Turin, Italy, and ZEW in Mannheim, Germany, that improving a Wikipedia article of a town, adding some quality pictures in the article, increases the flow of visitors to this town.

I think that improving the map of an area, adding some POIs, GPS traces, links to Wikidata items, links to quality ground and aerial photos etc. will also have positive influence on tourism, general security, and economic activity.

I agree that we are to work primarily on the areas which are already in demand, but it makes also sense to map blank regions. If possible to visit them to see if there is something up there. More often than not there is an interesting monument, an archeological site, a footpath, etc.

[1] https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/sep/18/wikipedia-edits-have-massive-impact-on-tourism-say-economists (published Fri 18 Sep 2020)

Best regards,
Oleksiy