Am 29.10.2020 um 00:17 schrieb Dave F:
iD editor attracts a hell of a lot of "WTFs", doesn't it? I mean, even its most ardent fan must occasionally raise a Roger Moore eyebrow.

bhuousel has taken the presumptive decision that the contributor's desired end result will always be a MP relation. This is wrong, plain & simple (& quite arrogant). iD editor should provide tools to allow contributors to make their own decisions as easily as possible & not take them on their behalf.

I'm not sure why you believe Bryan has or had anything to do with that specific design decision, but he didn't, that happened a substantial time before he had any formal involvement.

As has been noted other, editors don't make this assumption.

Other editors don't try to synthesize an area type.

The correct solution to split polygons with tags on the ways is to rejoin those ways, not create a MP.

As I pointed out, the question is -when- to rejoin those ways.
 A MP with only one* outer is invalid.

Nope.
* splitting it still means there's only one.

Relations were created to allow mapping of entities, not possible with just ways. They aren't meant to be the default for all objects.

See above.

Simon

DaveF