I think the issue is more fit for the purpose.

For critical work the OSM database cannot be relied upon.  We have too many
inexperienced mappers who can inadvertantly corrupt the map.  There are
processes to allow an area to be watched so a mapper can double check any
changes in a specific area.  The map is vandalised from time to time.  The
DWG does a great job but the problem is it cannot be relied upon 100% of
the time as errors will be present until they are removed.

Having said that Stats Canada is quite happy to use building data in Canada
on the basis it is the best available.

So it's better than nowt.  It's fairly easy to add Open Data to it either
directly or download a sample and mix the open data in that way.  I think
some if the NGOs work like that.

The wording is probably to protect OSM from law suits, we don't guarantee
the quality of the data will be good enough for your purposes.

You can run your own database by the way.  Grab a chunk of the map and run
your own updates into it.  This has the advantage that you can use all the
OSM tools and is reasonably well documented.

Going the Legal Working Group path can be lengthy.  They are practically
all volunteers and they have a back log.

So do your TRA (Threat Risk Analysis) and see what you think.  Remember
lawyers are paid to be cautious.

Cheerio John