I've added a new feature to [WaterwayMap.org: A map showing where waterways
end](https://waterwaymap.org/ends/), i.e. a map of the ends-of-waterways 🙂.

It shows nodes which are “the end” of a waterway, i.e. where the water can't go
anywhere else. Uniquely, it calculates the total upstream length of waterway
ways which end at a point. It uses the direction of OSM ways, and how they are
connected. This should make larger mistakes more visible. Like the rest of
WaterwayMap.org, data is updated daily, at the same time.

It's normal for there to be ends, like when a river ends at a coastline. This
will rightly show up on WWM:Ends. When a river empties into a lake, this will
also show up, unless we've mapped a waterway through the lake. There's [active
discussion](https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/should-river-lines-be-mapped-through-lakes-estuaries-gulfs-and-other-large-water-bodies/104438)
 on when & how to do that.

# Merging & Splitting

When 2+ waterways come together, the upstream value is added together. When 2+
waterways split, the upstream value is split equally. This mostly works well,
e.g. when a river splits through a side channel, and then rejoins.

If you have a small stream going into a large river, and it's in the wrong
direction, then half the upstream value from the big river will go off to the
side stream. This is a mapping mistake, and this tool makes it easier to find
them. e.g. [way 962171457](https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/962171457/history)
is mapped as flowing *out* of the Nile, so it's taking 17,000 km of upstream
away! [on
`wwm/ends`](https://waterwaymap.org/ends/#map=13.8/17.96527/33.98571). This
direction should probably be reversed.

Conversely, [this
way](https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/67963223#map=19/52.66517/-8.62906) is
taking half (930 km) of the Shannon
[wwm/ends](https://waterwaymap.org/ends/#map=15.34/52.66393/-8.627153). I don't
think this should count as an “end”, but the mapping looks ok. WWM/ends
excludes canals. I'm unsure if it's possible to calculate the right value.
Perhaps more advanced tag calculations. What do yous think?

I hope you enjoy this new map & we all improve OSM together. 🙂

# See also

 • a short description of [how it works](https://waterwaymap.org/ends/help/).
 • [News about
WaterwayMap.org](https://en.osm.town/@amapanda/tagged/WaterwayMapOrg) can be
found on Mastodon/Fediverse (incl. [Atom/RSS
feed](https://en.osm.town/@amapanda/tagged/WaterwayMapOrg.rss)):
 • This code is on Github:
[`amandasaurus/waterwaymap.org`](https://github.com/amandasaurus/waterwaymap.org).
 [New issue reports]( https://github.com/amandasaurus/waterwaymap.org/issues)