I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one for whom this language is a means to
an end. I think I know what to use it for, I have a mental model of the
language and enough curiosity to ask questions when things stray beyond it.
I have zero interest in establishing a reputation as an XQuery developer
whether by challenging the spec or in any other way but I have a tenacious
kind of curiosity that may annoy an author of something I'm asking about.
Meh!. XQuery  happens to be a good fit for what I am doing at the moment
and it bailed me out a couple of days ago when I tried to transform
something that was too big for XSLT to swallow. I like it. I'm happy I know
enough to get things done and solve my own problems with it. Thus I far
have been able to accomplish whatever I needed on my own steam barring
yesterdays intervention on grouping by Doc K.

I'm also sure I'm not the only one whose primary interaction with the spec
consists of sporadic infrequent googling a  phrase zeroing in and zeroing
out. If for example something like grouping was vexing me I have a limited
threshold for the arcane or the abstruse and I'd be inclined to dump the
thing into a relational database and do my aggregating in SQL. Despite
owning some XQuery books I'm quite relaxed about being labelled a person
who thinks XQuery is a glorified XPath and will happily confess to
ignorance of nuances between them. I will tend to extrapolate from what I
know about a similar thing  and am not and will not be shy about asking
about differences along the way. Thats how I augment my mental model of the
language and especially when you are using the bleeding edge release it far
far better to ask these questions.