Sergio said:

> If the man walks to her right and wishes to prevent her from crossing ... he
> does so by placing
> his foot close to her right one so that she is deprived of that option.

This highlights what I contend is the crux of the situation. If one does NOT do
as Sergio said, that is, if the leader places his foot some distance to her
right of her right foot, thereby allowing the cross, then this foot placement
and the accompanying misalignment of the torsos constitutes a defacto "lead."
That is, if the follower's objective is to maintain connection by staying in
front of her leader, and if he steps slightly wide on count 4, then the cross
is the only step that she can do that will bring her back into alignment with
him. That is, if she steps L back, she clearly pulls away from him, a fact
which is usually evident after the fact to beginning followers who will feel
the disconnection and (in a practice situation) will often comment, "I missed
the cross, didn't I?"

So to summarize, you can lead the cross with the torso windup and unwind,
turning CW on 4 and returning CCW on 5, or you can keep your torso facing front
and effectively "lead" the cross by placing your foot wide to your left of her
right foot with no torso movement at all.

        TangoMoments.com