Dear List,

This is getting interesting. Thanks to Amaury & Myk for pursuing clarification
of terms - here's my offering.

Clarification: LEAD

Is it possible to "lead" a follower without touching them? I hope we agree it
is possible, at least in principle, because everyone in our classes does it in
the first five minutes of their first class ;).

Clarification: CONNECTION

Chicho says (about his lead), "No arms, just connection"...

If it is possible to lead one's partner without touching them (see above), then
I suppose we could call the mysterious signaling medium that makes this
communication possible "connection".  Perhaps this is what Chicho refers to
here.  But apparently this would not need to be a "physical" connection for the
lead/follow signal to be received and understood - as, again, our beginner
students discover in the first five minutes.

With this view of lead/follow connection, the arms are seen as "sufficient but
not necessary" as a signaling medium for many tango ideas.  One can choose to
use them for signaling, of course, and many leaders do - but apparently other
non-physical signaling mechanisms can work just as well or better in many
cases, since no physical effort would be required.

On the other "hand", arms are certainly "necessary" for colgadas, otherwise
somebody's hitting the floor, and it won't be me :) ;)

All the best,
Brian Dunn
Dance of the Heart
775 Pleasant Street
Boulder, CO 80302 USA
303-938-0716
www.danceoftheheart.com
“Building a Better World, One Tango at a Time”