My two cents worth as a follower.

The man's left arm at a 90 degree angle up can give the follower a nice point
of contact (full forearm).  Feels nice for close-embrace.

When I lead, I prefer to keep my left arm out greater than 90 degrees to keep
both my and my partner's shoulders long.  As a follower, that is one thing I
simply have to have - a long right shoulder.  Anything less than a 90 degree
angle of the man's left arm shortens my right shoulder and feels uncomfortable.

When a man has a greater than 90 degree angle and at his shoulder level, then
it's easier for me to do backward ochos to the man's right or to do similar
movements.  I'm able to transmit the energy coming from his left arm into my
hips more easily.

Trini de Pittsburgh