On 22/05/2012, at 2:25 AM, tango-l-requ...@mit.edu wrote:

From: Shahrukh Merchant <shahr...@shahrukhmerchant.com>

As always, thoughtful and considered comments from Shahrukh.  A few comments:

2. Use of Tandas and Cortinas.
For those who are old enough to remember the '60's (ahem), live dance music,
other than "pub rock", at least in Aus., was always played in brackets
(tandas), usually of three songs, with a cortina at the end of each bracket.
The tanda tradition is quite natural for us, though I have found that studio
ballroom parties seem to have foregone the tradition.  it was revived by Tango
and Latin.

3. Table seating.
We much prefer table seating, for the sociability, though we tend to set tables
of 6, rather than the smaller settings often seen in Buenos Aires.  Neither do
we escort people to tables or separate singles and couples.  People tend to sit
in groups, with friends.

4. Occasional tandas of other dances.
Agree that occasional other dance music can lighten the night.  we tend to
select (rock, Latin, Brazilian) on the basis of the expected crowd, but if
nobody is dancing, cut the alternative as a cortina.

5. Cabeceo.
Traditionally, we used, and still do, eye-contact as you approach the lady.  I
find entering the dance floor an  interesting contrast.  From what I
understand, in Buenos Aires, (maybe a bit generalised) the man would stand on
the edge of the floor, waiting for the lady.  She will take the embrace with
her back to the tables.  From here, the couple can enter the dance without
disrupting the flow.  Perhaps this has been replaced by the awful habit of
standing in the middle talking through half of each song.  Not sure how
traditional this really is, or if the exaggerated version is a more modern
phenomenon. (Never saw Tete do it).  Only dancers who want to show their
"Argentine cred" tend to do it here.
In our culture, we tended to escort the lady to the floor, walking behind her
to a free spot.  I feel this was a result of the tradition of live music
variety, where the band leader would announce "Gentlemen, take your partners
for a (foxtrot, jive etc).  Some of the dances (maybe 40%) were set pattern or
progressive dances (now called New Vogue http://youtu.be/vMil_YSl8Ck) that
required the dancers to assemble in a formal circle (ronda).  Once assembled,
the band would play.

6. Table reservations.
Agree.  we do it on request, but it is limited.

7. Table service.
Our milongas are either in full service clubs, such as the Skypoint Milonga,
(www.skypoint.com.au) or dance / community halls.  At the dance halls we
provide complimentary light supper (often the regular dancers contribute.  This
contribution maintains and old Aus. tradition that was called, "bring a
plate").  Most of these venues are not licenced for alcohol, so the The BYO
rule usually applies.  We do have a mild climate all year, so casual outdoor
milongas are also popular, not unlike La Glorieta. (see www.paralosninos.net)

Enjoyed the walk down memory lane.
John