I have some observations on these topics that interest me; first of all, when
watching a video taken at a performance  say, at a festival in Instanbul that
is full of young people  and far from BsAs, the surprise factor and atheletisim
is what   gets the applause and yes the female contributes equally as the
male because the trick figure was well rehearsed, correagraphed ahead of time.
On the other hand, a video from a dance taken in BsAs that is at an   older,
traditional venue and peopled by older, traditional dancers,     will hear
applause whenever the couple exhibits a dance sequence that       perfectly and
creatively illustrates the music being played.    As for women not being given
full credit for their musicality, I strongly agree.    In my own town, we have
recently hosted an International festival.    I was able to spend time
observing a lot of (new to me) dancers and couples who dance     together
frequently. What surprised me was the timing of the women's steps      that
were musicaly perfectly in sync while the men's stepping was labored and
OFTEN out of sync with the songs..mis-steps you could call them.    Perhaps,
the woman's role helped a bit, sensing the lead and listening to the song.
while the man's role looked more like "hmm, what should I do next ?" ...which
produced     many a stagger while he got into position for the "next" figure.