Hi Karen,

instead of discussing what applications currently configure, I would rather
like to know why they configure it; what the goal they try to reach and what’s
the problem they try to handle with that. The reason why I’m saying this, is
because the current configuration possibilities are often very limited and
something even on the wrong level. To figure out how to do this better, we need
to understand what the application really wants.

Regarding congestion control, that’ a good example. In most implementation you
can configure the algorithm used in TCP. However, usually people do not change
this configuration because they don’t understand what the benefits are that a
certain algorithm (with a random name) provides. Therefore actually choose the
algorithm seems to be on the wrong level. The interface should rather configure
what service a certain congestion control algorithm provides e.g. foreground
vs. background congestion control. (Not saying that this is the right thing to
do; just an example what you could do; we need to figure out what’s the right
thing to do by discussing application need).

Mirja