On 09/29/13 06:26, Yonatan Broza wrote:
> I'm using tarsnap to backup around 22GB in 22K files.
>
> There's hardly any difference between backups (verified using diff) yet
> tarsnap
> reports 12MB of new data.
>
> Most timestamps are changed since most of the files are recreated before each
> backup.
>
> What's the reason for the large amount of new data?

Tarsnap stores a 512-byte tar header for each file, and this header includes the
file modification time.  22,000 files x 512 bytes/file = 11.2 MB, so this looks
like the reason for the new data you're seeing.

The good news is that tar headers tend to compress very well, so the data you're
actually uploading -- the *compressed* new data -- is almost certainly much less
than that.

--
Colin Percival