I have to add to point 2, that this truncation is always followed by
another error:

tarsnap: Archive truncated
tarsnap: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

maybe that's just the cause of the errors that I get by reinstating the
command?

tarsnap: An archive already exists with the name <filename>.part"
tarsnap: Error creating new archive

thanks