I have been working on taking some fiddle tunes as they existed in the
old-time era (beginning of the recording age) and trying to find the
way that I like to play them best.

Something that I have noticed, particularly with "Old Joe Clark" is
that the OT version seems quite different from the BG/modern version
we are used to.  It almost seems like slowing down the BG version and
playing it in an OT context does not sound right.

Does anyone have any advice?  It is because of added harmony notes?
Has the root melody itself evolved?

I am trying to learn enough tunes that are suitable for playing with
an OT band, in a BG environment and in the contest arena, but one size
doesn't seem to fit all.

Thanks any advice you may have to offer,
Nelson