From: The Holstein Kid <st...@senatorgroup.com.au>
To: Taterbugmando <taterbugmando@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:27:54 PM
Subject: Passionate mandolin

Howdy friends. Something Mike said in a recent post really hit home
and got me thinking about Passion. His comments...

"Finding something that touches the soul and inspires, provides an
escape from the turmoil of the day is about as good as it gets. I
remember what I felt like when I bought Monroe's records. I used to
get the dry heaves before I could get the needle on the platter."

That to me expresses so much and I believe that's the reason we're all
here in this forum. Sometimes you can get strange looks when you start
talking about mandolins / bluegrass and all in a different setting,
and a lot of people just don't get it. Getting the "dry heaves" is
exactly how I feel when hearing certain cd's and can't wait to figure
out what's happening. This passion stirs up the emotions and always
leaves me with the feeling of not having enough time to play, listen
and live it. When I found out MC was coming to Australia in March last
year, I was beside myself and just had to find a way to get to the
workshop and concert. After the concert I was so taken aback that I
just couldn't go and say g'day! Did he just play a whole show on his
own with just a mandolin?? Wow, that's what I'm talking about. When I
found out about the online lessons I was like an over enthusiastic
cartoon character so eager for his reply, I think I wrote several
times before he replied saying "Easy boss, I'm not going anywhere".

For those of us in a remote location or at least in another city /
country, these encounters mean a lot.

Aside from expressing what a joy it is to be in this group and sharing
among everyone here the same feelings, I'd love to hear to what extent
we've all gone to in our quest to feed our infatuation with this
music. I know I drove the 10 hours to Brisbane to catch the mando
workshop, then drove home again the next day whilst listening to
Monroe all the way, what a trip! Every minute was enjoyable and I
couldn't wait to start my new journey.

That said, bring it on!

Holstein