One way to sort of politely say "no" is to claim your mandolin belongs
to your cousin or something, and you can't actually get her permission
to let anybody touch it since she's not even there.... I've done it.
It's a lie, sure, But in some cases, I was just reluctant to let some
drunk person handle my instrument.

Normally I like to let folks play my mando but yes I do want them to
ask first and treat it well, just as I sould treat theirs.

Topher