I went to go see the CD release show at the Ernest Tubb Record Shop on
Thursday night. It was a really good show! (and FREE...and catered
BBQ. What's not to love about that setup?) For what it is worth, I
think Jesse's versions are the best covers of Dead tunes I've ever
heard. Jesse is still in good form at 81 and I'd highly recommend
catching him playing this material if you can. (There is another
release show at the Station Inn on Nov 17th)
Jesse has knocked me out every time I've seen him. He has slowed down
in old age but the spark is still there.
I remember seeing Jim and Jesse a few years back when Raymond McClain
and Jimmy Campbell were in the band. That is one of the best Bluegrass
shows I've ever seen. Jesse's mando playing was pretty damn exciting.
I was on the edge of my seat for the whole show.