Hi there!

On 5 Feb 00, at 13:01, Allie Martin wrote
    about "Re: The Bat! - suggestions [Random SMTP]":

> > You _cannot_ download mail from SMTP server.
>
>         Anyway, I've used POP to both send and receive mail but yes,

POP3 cannot be used for sending, it's only for receiving. Even IMAP4 cannot
send, it can only receive&manage server-side. The only protocol existing that
can be used for sending is SMTP (to say nothing about UUCP, which's both
sending/receiving and on which this my account is based in fact;-))

> SMTP is only for sending mail. Wie is therefore not being very clear
> when he says he wants a change of SMTP *not* when sending mail. What
> else would he be doing with it.

Yup, that's why I told in my initial posting in this thread "if i understand you
correctly";-)

>         Interestingly, with regards to my two ISP's, if I'm connected
> to either of them, I can only send messages where my reply address is
> the e-mail address for that particular account. I can't simply use any
> e-mail address. I will get the message about this ISP not relaying for
> others etc. Is this right?

It's one of the _stupid_ anti-spam measures that some ISPs exploit heavily. It
checks your Reply-To: against what your MUA says in the SMTP session (it
needs to introduce you to SMTP server by saying:
MAIL FROM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
or whatever). If your Reply-To: is not the same as your address as stated in
the SMTP envelope, SMTP server thinks it's weird and rejects your message.
FYI, when you're _sending_ to AOL, your message can be undelivered if the
address in SMTP envelope doesn't equal your address in Reply-To: field. AOL
checks for this upon _receiving_ messages from the outer world and just
trashes all the messages that don't fit this criteria (it even doesn't generate the
rejection message, so you never know was your message delivered or what).

> Shouldn't I be able to send mail with any e-mail address via SMTP A if I am
> connected to ISP A? I thought that the relay block kicked in when trying to
> send mail via SMTP A when connected to ISP B.

Yes, but not limited to. Of course, you might want to talk this with your ISP
admin, but _usually_ they won't listen to you. Of course, you might wish to tell
them that they have no legal right to "read" your messages, which is what they
clearly are doing by looking into the Reply-To: field... The result depends on
what is stated in your contract with them.

--
SY, Alex
(St.Petersburg, Russia)

---
PGP public keys on keyservers:
0xA2194BF9 (RSA);   0x214135A2 (DH/DSS)
fingerprints:
F222 4AEF EC9F 5FA6  7515 910A 2429 9CB1 (RSA)
A677 81C9 48CF 16D1 B589  9D33 E7D5 675F 2141 35A2 (DH/DSS)
---