On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 01:35:01AM +0900, Leif Gregory wrote:
> I will use certificates for e-commerce or other things that require a
> sense of security, but every day e-mails and discussion lists won't
> need them.

    Thing is, this makes it a portion of lack of security.  You forget to turn
it on, for example, and it screams, "Here, look at me!!!" because it is
different from your other corrispondence.

    Ever hear of the postcard/envelope analogy?  If everyone sent all of their
corrispondence via postcard the few that sent it via envelope would raise
suspicion.  "Why are they sending it in an envelope, what are they hiding?"
Fortunately, we send everything in envelopes, not postcards and, consiquently,
we do sign almost everything we send by hand. Why not, then, a digital
envelope and a digital signature?