On Thursday, September 14, 2000, 8:18:30 AM, Steve wrote:

>> Exactly my point on the flip side: what can be accomplished with
>> ini can also be accomplished be registry, theoretically.

>     Easily moving from one computer to another is not one of them.
> Surviving an OS reinstall (basically the same thing) or an OS
> change is another.

I'm not so sure. If the registry or an easily separable part of it
contains only application specific data (aka a superset of all
INIs), then it's also quite portable, isn't it?

>> Most people lean against registry (myself included) because the
>> way it's implemented in Windows, as far as I can tell.

>     No, it is the registry.  A single point of failure on the
> machine.  A central repository of distributed information which
> may be used in other contexts.  I am opposed not to the
> implementation but the whole concept.

It's a trade-off, IMHO. Yes, it's a single point of failure, but
also a single point of management.

Ming-Li

The Bat! 1.46 Beta/6 | Win2k SP1