On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 4:28 PM, MAU <miguel.ur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wouldn't it make much more sense to mark a message as read (*) when you
> have actually finished reading it and after deciding if you want to flag
> it, delete it, park it, tag it, reply or forward it, assign it to a
> color group or perhaps just leaving it as unread?
>
> (*) Using Smart Space, Ctrl+M (or any key combination you want to
> customise) or from RMB menu if you are using the mouse.

I disagree. Almost every email client/interface on this planet, from
Hotmail to the iPhone, marks an email as read when you open it for reading.
And this for good reason: Usually people read an email after they open it,
which is generally the purpose of opening an email. Having to manually mark
them as read, especially when using the mouse, is an unnecessary task.

Also, what is the disadvantage of keeping the email currently being looked
at in the VF's message list? I bet my ass that Ritlabs didn't implement the
current behaviour on purpose. They just made the VFs refresh more often
(which is generally good) and don't care about this side effect that
actually destroys a useful process for users. That process being to have a
VF that shows all your unread mail from various accounts/folders. Not such
an unusual way to handle new mail one would think.

BRgds,
Carsten