Hello Luca,

Friday, August 24, 2012, 8:26:46 AM, you wrote:

>> Idem  Dito  (still  wonder  why the English were more influenced by the
>> Italians than by the latin language and thus say
>> "ditto").

L> Well, in latin it should be "dictus".

[This  starts  to  smell  fishy :-) ]

I know it comes from the Latin verb dicere. 8 years of Latin lessons were not
completely forgotten, albeit the last ones
date from 35 years ago :-)

Perhaps  I  was  not clear enough; unless I am mistaken, the "idem dito" WE are
using comes from the Latin "idem dicto",
which was not used by the Romans, but more recently, in (mostly) administrative
texts.

Latin   being   used   in   science,  religion, administration occurred in many
European Countries, also in England. The
English language was much more influenced by the Latin language than by the
Italian language.

That's  what  intrigues  me: why did the English start to use the Tuscan
variant (ditto) of the Italian detto?  It seems
to  me that "ditto" was introduced in England at about the same time "idem
dicto" was used over here, but both developed
independent from one another.

Ditto is not being used in Dutch.

--
Best Wishes,