I have a recurring issue (and I can be quite a menace about that :-D):

I have The Bat! in my quicklaunch bar (Windows 10, so I basically
pinned it to the "taskbar"). There is no problem with .RAR updates,
but the The Bat! installers destroy the icon every time. Running a The
Bat! installer requires me to remove the quicklaunch icon and add it
again, as described here:

https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/help/2461919/program-icons-that-are-pinned-to-the-taskbar-may-be-missing-or-be-disp

Atom had a similar issue a while back but they fixed it:

https://github.com/atom/atom/issues/8858

I understand that this has something to do with application internals,
probably something related to how Windows "registers" a new
application, but is there a way to leave existing pinned icons intact
when updating The Bat!?