On 29 November 2001 at 6:20 pm Markus wrote:

> Hi,

> On Thursday, November 29, 2001, 6:41:49 PM, Peter Palmreuther wrote:

>> Den verstehe ich nicht ... bin ich jetzt blöd oder ist der so
>> anspruchsvoll???

> [Expressing that he doesn't get Dierk's joke.]

> It's about the pronunciation of the word 'polish'. The verb (German
> 'polieren') and noun (German 'Politur') are pronounced in English
> differently (with a short 'o') than the adjective for something related to
> Poland (where 'Polish' is pronounced with a long 'o'). NB: when written
> down it is easier because the latter version is always capitalized. In
> Dierk's joke it was all caps which didn't help.

A friend who was born in Kraków and educated at the Sorbonne I call
"the French polisher". This causes some amusement where I come from
because the dialect there (central Scotland) pronounces "French
Polisher" (semi-facetious reference to person of French and Polish
background) and "French polisher"* (person who makes valuable furniture
shine with enormous effort) in the same way with a long o; where I am
now (south-east England) the pronunciations are different (long o and
short o) and there is no joke :)

[I'm sure that could've been explained better, and the joke could
certainly have been better anyway :)]

Alastair

* http://www.am-wood.com/finishes/french.html