Jernej wrote:

> Hello Alastair,

> 12. december 2001, 10:31:38, you wrote:

AS>> That anything comprehensible at all can be derived from this is a
AS>> miracle - so what's stopping the "c-hacek" from being right too? [And
AS>> where did the backslashes and quotes come from?]

> I think that it's the encoding's fault - in Win-1250 encoding "c is in
> the same place as 'e in "normal" Windows encoding (which CP is that
> anyway?)... Check, how this message comes through - it's ISO-8859-2
> encoded.

It looks exactly the same as the first try :(

The line in the source, this time, looks like:

From: =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Jernej_Simon=E8i=E8?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

and, in the (UK) ISO 8859-1 character set, #E8 is e-grave :(

What seems to be happening is that something, somewhere, in The Bat!
isn't understanding that it needs to switch from ISO 8859-1 to ISO
8859-2 when displaying that line.

(I presume that there is a mapping from IS0 8859-x to two-byte Unicode
characters somewhere in the Windows APIs so that, when an application
says, 'This character code is #E8 and the current character set is ISO
8859-2', 'c-hacek' is printed).

I've found two rather useful sites from which I derived this explanation
(?):

http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso8859.html (what the various sets look
like)

http://nl.ijs.si/gnusl/cee/iso8859-2.html (ISO 8859-2 in detail)