@ 12:16:03 +0000 [ Wed, 19 Dec 2001], Alastair Scott [AS] wrote these
words of wisdom:
AS> A very interesting article on beta testing of commercial software:

AS> http://www.betanews.com/article.php3?sid=1007600207

A nice read. :-)

AS> Lots and lots of good points there; the interviewee is as keen as I am
AS> on tools which make everything visible to everyone.

AS> (As you can probably guess I'm not impressed with the way RITLabs
AS> does beta testing*; it's too haphazard and the _testers_ cannot
AS> see how, and if, their data are being handled which, in my case,
AS> is offputting.

I guess that this is as a result of a lack of good *consistent*
communication which is my main problem with the process.

I don't see the point of releasing a beta with spanking new features
which aren't intuitive, and then there's no instruction on how to use
the new feature. How is it supposed to be tested then? Or is the
obscurity some way of straining out who tests the feature since the
more savvy will be able to 'figure it out'. :-)

I hope this is being construed as constructive criticism and not
whining.

Communication is the main problem to me. Otherwise I don't see much
scope for improvement considering the company size and resources. I do
think that there are also a lot of excellent beta testers subscribed
to this group who could do a lot more if given a chance and are
communicated with more effectively. I don't know what's happening on
private channels so I can't speak for that. As far as I'm concerned
private notes should be minimised so that all can benefit from the
exchanges, but I can understand a beta tester resorting to private
notes when no responses are forthcoming to important queries made
publicly on the list.

I do also realize that the developers need time to debug and develop
but there's that balance that needs to be struck with communication on
the other hand.

AS> Witness the IMAP closure problem, which RITLabs told me was
AS> duplicatable and would be fixed yet has been hanging around for
AS> three builds so far!)

It's likely that they're working on a solution but haven't found it
yet. But again, no communication of this.

It's a case of submitting your problem and hoping it's heard and
fixed. This has been working for me. We're being heard. No doubt about
that.:-) They do listen and will fix serious bugs and implement
important and useful enhancements ... in time. So, I hope with all of
this Ritlabs and all who care to read my opinion here, realize that
despite my negative slant in this message, I do have very positive
views on The Bat! and its development over the years. :-)

AS> * that said, very few get it anywhere near right;

Exactly, and we have to accept this ... to an extent. <g>

Just my $0.02 worth.

--
    .-.-.
   (  :  )                   ©Allie C Martin