Hello,

21 Dec 2001, 11:10:25 AM, Marc van Breemen wrote:

EM>> Within 11 accounts and about 1300 messages, searching one word returns
EM>> 300 messages and takes about 8 seconds !

MvB> I'm very glad and/or for you ;). But I have a message base of aprox.
MvB> 3000 messages. You're right that The Bat can search through them very
MvB> fast, but not if you have a lot of (large) attachments. Then it's
MvB> slow. Test it for yourself.

  Can anybody explain 2 thinks (I am *really* asking):
  1.  Why  would  you  send *huge* attachment through e-mail which is *not*
optimized  for it instead of using ftp or something else which is developed
*exactly* for it?
  2.  Why  would  you  store  *huge*  peace  of data using mail client (and
specially  *inside*  its  mail  database),  which is *not* optimized for it
instead of using some database engine?

  You  can't make your application do *everything*. If you try - you get MS
Office. :) So may be let do mail client do mail client job and don't try to
deliver furniture with sport car? :)

  May  be  this  is not a so bad idea to create *DB* DB engine for TB! mail
database,  but  this  is  a  very different story and at least it should be
separate  application.  Look at the UNIX world: even "monsters" like Oracle
use *separate* executables to do *DB* job, to do backup and recovery and to
work with flat files.

 Boris                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Using The Bat! v1.54 Beta/19 on Windows NT 4.0 Build 1381 Service Pack 6