On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, Marck D Pearlstone wrote...

JA>> the dispatcher has to fetch the whole body (IIRC). ... Of course,
JA>> I can be corrected on this, ...

> Then kneel, sir, while I correct thee ;-).

*kneels*

> The dispatcher only gets the headers.

How? What function performs that? There is no POP3 function that can
be used to return just the headers. So I can only conclude that it is
really downloading all the mail, but only "keeping" the parts it
needs.

> I calculated that if your incoming mail is at least 25% spam, or if
> you will only ever do a download of 75% (or less) of the messages on
> the server, then selective download or vetting with the dispatcher
> is worthwhile. Anything more than that is a waste of bandwidth.

> Here's my original treatise on the topic (particularly with
> reference to Selective download, although it applies equally to the
> Dispatcher and IMAP).

Aha... see... you reference IMAP here... however with IMAP, there are
functions to just retrieve certain parts of the message. How does that
same feature work for POP3?

--
Jonathan Angliss
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Lifting Shadows Off a Dream

 Current beta is 2.0b1 | "Using TBBETA" information: