Hello MaXxX,

Wednesday, July 28, 2004, 1:35:51 AM, you wrote:
MaXxX> Note that you and Mary are power users, not some net kiddies.
MaXxX> You will not use smileys when the reader might fail to see
MaXxX> them, Mary uses them fully aware that most people won't see
MaXxX> them - but an average user will use them and not KNOW (or CARE)
MaXxX> who sees them and who does not. That is what I call grounds for
MaXxX> a calamity. :)

So are we to abandon acronyms too? I mean, I thought I was pretty up
on all the acronyms, but I've had to look up a ton of them from users
of the TB lists.

CTTOI some acronyms leave me in a SOC.

AWHFY? IDTSBICBR...

At any rate, that's why I've pleaded with people to use handles that
accurately describe the smileys.

Writing, "Well, I'm going to :sleep: after I eat some :icecream:"
makes sense whether you are RTV or PTV.

Can it be a bit weird for the uninitiated? Sure.. So is everything
else (top-posting, trimming quotes, sig delimiters), but everyone
eventually learns. Without innovation there is no progress. What we're
doing here with TB might be the standard for generations of other MUAs
to come. Who knows, but we won't know unless we try.

In any event, I hardly see it as the calamity you espouse.

--
Leif Gregory (TB list moderator and fellow end user).

Tagline of the day:
The trouble with being punctual
is that nobody's there to appreciate it.

Using The Bat! 2.12.03 under Windows 2000 5.0
Build 2195 Service Pack 4 on a Pentium 4 2GHz with 512MB