Hello Avi,

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:09:43 +0200 GMT (12/11/2004, 02:09 +0700 GMT),
Avi Yashar wrote:

AY> Thomas, if we are going to get down to such detail, then in Hebrew,
AY> Sunday is "Yom Rishon" (First Day).

Sunday being the first day of the week is also what I grew up with. It
turned out that most countries use another way of counting, namely
starting with Monday. I have no religious association with any day of
the week, and since Monday is the first working day of the working
week, I think this makes sense.

AY> Furthermore, the vast majority of Western calendars and the
AY> standard calendar in the Windows operating system (at least the
AY> English version) shows Sunday as the first day of the week.

You may be right about Windows, I don't know. I am certainly uncertain
about your assumption about the vast majority of Western calandars.
Please enlighten me - a URL will do.

AY> Even if ISO has set a standard, their decision might not have been the
AY> best.

Their intention is to create standards which will lead to easy
understanding across cultures. For example in the air transport
industry, everybody knows that "day 1" is Monday, and no additional
cultural explanation is necessary.

AY> And, good or bad, it is still too soon for Ritlabs to be
AY> imposing that standard in a rigid fashion.

I disagree, but then, this is what this thread is about.

AY> Why should this be thrust on TB users like some sort of religious
AY> dogma?

Only if you consider international standardisation a religious dogma.

AY> Why not retain - or at least allow the retention of - the rich
AY> context of an historical and cultural legacy?

Because in international communication, standards are useful. If you
are talking about social sciences, I agree with you.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

Message reply created with The Bat! 3.0.2.4 Rush
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A

 Current beta is 3.0.2.8 Rush | 'Using TBBETA' information: