Hello Thomas,

Thomas Fernandez wrote (in <mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>):

>>> 2) It should be possible to create a purely organizational container
>>> level (sub)filter where processing of filters further down the list
>>> occurs automatically if none of the subfilters yielded an action.

>> Yes, this is a nice wish. I have the same problem like you. A filter
>> as container filter (with "all messages" condition) can make problems.
>> So a container filter would be nice.
>> But I think there are workarounds - I use the first one and in
>> this moment I think there is a second one.

>> Imagine:

>> Filter A                  <- container filter
>>        Filter A1          <- condition: From Maurice
>>        Filter A2          <- condition: From Boris
>> Filter B
>>        Filter B1
>>        Filter B2

>> First, I set the condition of A to "all message" - but this brought
>> troubles, because then Filter B will never touched. Also the solution
>> "continue filtering" isn't that good, because then changes from A, A1
>> and A2 could undo by B, B1 or B2.

> True. But A and B are catch-all filters. Let's assume A' and B' are
> the action performed by these filters (for example moving the message
> to a default folder). The logic is this:

> 1.) "continue processing" disabled

> A(True) + B (True) = A' (Since A matched, B is not processed. It
> could also be false)

> All messages are matched with the catch-all.

> 2.) "continue processing" enabled

> A(True) + B(True) = B'

> Here it doesn't matter whether A is matched, as the B will always be
> processed and it will always match.

> What you are looking for with these "container filters" are not
> filters at all, I would think. You need a "group name" functionality.

Yes, container filters aren't filters, but "dummy filter". They should
be there, to keep order, but don't work as filter.

>> The second solution (which is not yet tested) is, to introduce a
>> "control filter":

> I would consider this far too complicated to be acceptable.

Maybe you feel it as a (too complicated) workaround - but since
"container filters" or "group name functionality" isn't implemented it's
the only way to do so, right?

--
Regards,
Boris Anders, http://www.batboard.de