ASK> Hello Gonçalo Farias & everyone else,
ASK> on 04-Dez-2004 at 10:31 you (Gonçalo Farias) wrote:

>> Well,  if  I  recall correctly, I purchase this software, I did not
>> rent or leased it.

ASK> I  think  you  purchased  a  license  that  allows you to use the
ASK> software, and not the software itself. Thats a difference. :)

Name  it  the  way you want it, you bought your right, you didn't rent
it. :)

>> I  personally  prefer those kind of softwares where you buy it once
>> and  get  a  license  for every future version. I purchased several
>> softwares in this category.

ASK> Hmmmm.  I  know  only  two in my collection: Deliplayer and Total
ASK> Commander,  and  even  the licenses of those two do not include a
ASK> guarantee for free future upgrades.

I count at least 7 in my collection.

>> In the category of those that must be 're-purchased' TheBat, TheBat
>> Private  Disk,  among others. I bought this ones, because the price
>> was fair but I'm not going to pay annual fees for sure.

ASK> You  have  to look at the "source" of this discussion... what has
ASK> happened since version 2...

It's  not  annual,  they charge for major releases. It arguable if the
enhancements they made justified a major release though...

ASK> 1st of September 2003, v2 of TB was released and if you wanted to
ASK> use  it, you had to pay an upgrade fee. 1st of September 2004, v3
ASK> was  released  and  you  had  to  pay  another upgrade fee. We're
ASK> already  paying  per  year,  and I want to add that I do NOT like
ASK> that.  An  official  "annual"  fee  would be a more honest way of
ASK> licensing, business ethics, that sort of thing.

Well... maybe it's annual. :)
But  an  annual  fee  would mean a change in the activation code, like
Anti-Virus, that would have to expire to force you to buy a new one.

>> I would more easily go back to AK-Mail.

ASK> And  be stuck with the uncertainty if and when a new version will
ASK> come.   I'm   an  ex-AKMail  User  myself.  Nothing  against  the
ASK> programmer,  but  it  is  a  hobby  project  and  lacks  to  many
ASK> features... to be honest, there's no way to go back.

"to be honest, there's no way to go back.":
Well, you see what I think about paying annual fees then... :)

Best regards,
Goncalo Farias

--
Rule # 1: No man should be without a beer.